A Simple Cole Slaw with Apples and Cranberries


Although we enjoy pork chops year round, they strike me as a distinctly autumnal meal. Perhaps it's because they are so often paired with applesauce, or spiced apples.

But they are just as often paired with cole slaw or with cabbage in some other form. This recipe is one of the most-viewed recipes on this blog, and when a local reader left a comment on the 2007 post, it reminded me that I'd intended to re-post a link to it.

Last week in Door County, I bought a broccoli slaw with dried cherries at a local deli, and loved it. It was a cross between traditional slaw and that ubiquitous broccoli-raisin-bacon salad so many delis offer. That reminded me that I had two small heads of cabbage in my crisper.

And I needed an autumnal salad. Something rustic. Coarsely chopped, not grated. I often eat at an unpretentious lunch place known for its apple slaw and I wanted something along those lines. Here's what I made:

Cole Slaw with Apples and Cranberries

  • 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped red cabbage
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped apple (in this case, Door County Honey Crisp)
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • Dash sea salt
  • 2 Tablespoons roasted almonds and pumpkin seeds (pre-made, I admit)

I used a T Marzetti slaw dressing with celery seed. It's still Clean Out the Fridge Month here; in fact, the month has morphed into an entire season. I don't expect to do a major grocery shopping until mid-November. Frankly, I enjoy using up what I have and not spending tons on money on groceries.

(But I am looking forward to having the time this winter to experiment with home-made dressings.)

The cole slaw was tart and sweet. It was perfect with chicken, brown rice and squash. In fact, it was a nice juxtaposition to the latter, which I will feature in a day or so.

Since the onion was also from Immerfrost Farm and the apples from across the bay, about 75 percent of the cole slaw came from within 100 miles of my home.

Here's a link to more cabbage-based recipes.



Comments

Unknown said…
Mimi, You are so thoughtful in acknowledging local food sources in your posts. Glenn learned how to make fresh salad dressing during his many trips to Germany from an Italian woman. It is so easy and CHEAPER than buying the stuff in a bottle. (not to mention fresher and preservative free)
Unknown said…
I totally agree, Dave. I prefer to make my own, too, and now that I'm no longer working, I hope to do it more often. Maybe Glenn could do a demo at the farm market sometime...

Popular Posts