Fast and Frugal: Mediterranean Vegetable Soup with Lentils

I had the most incredible soup tonight at a restaurant that was new to me.

I won't say too much here, because I don't have the recipe. I will have to invent something similar. A challenge like that os often what I need to keep this blog going.

I'm tied up with another project this week, but I offer you this excellent soup from 2008:

Easy Mediterranean Vegetable Soup with Lentils

  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/3 cup lentils
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, Italian style
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped
  • dash freshly-ground pepper
  • dash fleur de sel

Place olive oil, butter and onion in skillet; brown slightly. Add chicken stock, water and lentils. Bring to a boil and lower heat, simmering for about 30 minutes. Add tomatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, adding zucchini as carrots begin to soften. Simmer at least 20 minutes longer, adding salt and pepper.

I paired it with goat cheese and roasted pepper on crusty rolls.

Comments

Popular Posts