Stir Fried Cabbage with Chicken and Cashews

Stir Fried Cabbage with Chicken and Cashews

During the cold weather months (most of the year in northern Wisconsin), there is always a bag of shredded cabbage in my refrigerator. Yes, the kind you buy to make cole slaw in a hurry.

During the short window of time cabbage is available from local growers, I make it the old-fashioned way, but when it's not, the bag comes in handy. Only trouble is, the bag seldom includes enough carrots, so I almost always add some to my final product.

I eat so much cole slaw, I often get tired of it. That's when it's time to (A) try a different cole slaw recipe, or (B) do something else with the cabbage.

If you are making sausage-cabbage soup or this recipe, a bag or two of pre-shredded cabbage is a godsend. I often toss small quantities that are left over into vegetable or chicken soup as well.

Shredded cabbage is also a great base for an Asian salad. I usually add almonds, cooked chicken or shrimp, soy sauce and maybe red peppers and peas or edamame. A dash of vinegar, maybe some chow mien noodles or even ramen noodles and you've got a pretty decent salad. Chinese Five-Spice is something I always keep on hand for stir fries.

I've also used leftover cabbage in skillet dish with potatoes, onions and kielbasa.

My favorite way to use up shredded cabbage is in a stir fry itself. Nothing could be easier.

Coming home from our quick and unexpected trip to Madison the other day, I found myself pondering how best to use up some leftovers: Chicken, bagged cole slaw mix, and green onions. A trip to the grocery store seemed like an unnecessary luxury.

Stir Fried Cabbage with Chicken and Cashews

  • 1 cup rice, uncooked*
  • 1 cooked chicken breast, leftover or cooked fresh with salt and pepper
  • 1/2 bag cole slaw mix
  • 1 small sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • dash rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice 

Optional additions: Edamame, carrots, peas, water chestnuts, sweet peppers, broccoli, celery, Brussels sprouts.

Note: My cooked chicken breast, which was frozen, had been baked a week ago with salt and pepper and no additional seasonings.

Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside.

Chop onion and mince garlic; brown in a large skillet over medium heat. Once they begin to turn golden, add the cole slaw mix, soy sauce, vinegar and Chinese Five Spice. Toss frequently, add the cooked rice and lower the heat. Taste, so you can adjust seasonings. Add the cashews (or almonds) last.

If you are adding other vegetables: Peas and edamame should be cooked and added with the rice. Broccoli, carrots, celery, red or green pepper, and Brussels sprouts can be added raw, as long as they are finely chopped.

I have substituted shrimp or leftover pork for chicken. Chopped green onion is a great topping.

It is a humble dish, to be sure, but a way of making use of everything on hand. And that always makes me feel virtuous.

*Since I freeze 1/2 cup portions of unused, cooked rice, I usually end up with a blend of brown and white long-grain rice when I make this and similar dishes.


Comments

~~louise~~ said…
HI Mimi:)
That's so funny, I posted a chicken and cashew recipe to celebrate Nattional Soy Food Month yesterday, lol...

I don't think I have ever bought bagged shredded cabbage before. Probably because I only make coleslaw when cabbage is in season, lol...My favorite way to eat cabbage is shredded and slowly cooked in garlic and oil. Love it!

I must say, your recipe is sounding mighty tempting. It seems to "whip" up in flash!

Thank you so much for sharing, Mimi. I need to try that cabbage!
Unknown said…
I just wrote a comment on your blog, Louise, saying I needed to try your recipe!

I wish I were more of a purist - only eating thing in season - but up here in the northern hinterlands, I'm not sure what I would eat in cold weather...
~~louise~~ said…
I guess it's important to stock up and save the bounties of the warmer weather, Mimi. Not a chore I look forward to though:) Warmth will be with us soon and so will Summer's bounty:)
Unknown said…
My freezer is full all winter long, with farm market bounty, Louise, and I augment that with frozen vegetables. In many cases, the latter is better for you than fresh produce that's been trucked in, so they say...
~~louise~~ said…
I guess it depends on the market, Mimi. I find it very frustrating when I go to the market and the stuff has been trucked in from who knows where and isn't actually from a local farm. That happens around here a lot to my dismay. I do however think that the frozen food section can be your friend for freshness even if it is frozen it has been frozen quickly with minimal nutrition loss:)
Unknown said…
Our farm market managers work hard to make sure that doesn't happen. It's a universal problem at farm markets. Frustrating indeed, Louise!

Popular Posts