Chocolate Madeleines

Some time ago, I bought a madeleine pan, reasoning that such accouterments were essential in a French kitchen.

Besides, I love shells of any shape or form, and have a small collection scattered in bowls and baskets throughout my house.

I had good intentions. But I never actually made madeleines. The pan languished in my pie safe for several years.

Sunday was the day. I had a few free hours and we were being blanketed by a gentle snow — just the kind of afternoon for baking something containing chocolate.

Chocolate Madeleines
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, shredded
  • ¾ stick unsalted butter, sliced
  • ½ teaspoon instant coffee
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler, adding the coffee when thoroughly melted. Stir frequently.

Beat eggs and sugar with a hand-held mixer on medium high. Continue until mixture thickens. You will know it is thick when strands of liquid fall from the beater as you raise it from the bowl.

In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt. Gradually add the egg-sugar mixture. Blend thoroughly.

Add the chocolate, blending carefully. Add the vanilla.

Now comes the messy part: Pouring the batter into the madeleine pan. I used a spoon. You might also try a measuring cup or pour the whole batter into a larger cup and then pour it into the shells. Each shell-shaped cavity should be only ¾ full.

Place the madeleine pan on a cookie sheet and bake until cookies are springy to the touch, 10-12 minutes.

This makes a very cake-like cookie, but one that is not terribly moist. Good for dipping in hot chocolate, I would say. The taste reminded me of the chocolate cookies my mother made on winter days when I was a kid.

Comments

My husband made the basic madeleines from Dorie Greenspan's book last week -- his first attempt, despite our having a madeleine pan (brought from Paris by a visiting friend) in the pantry for several years. They were light and lemony, and the best I've ever had!
Unknown said…
Lydia, I think lemony will be my next try — that IS the classic recipe. How cool that your husband made them.

But for some reason, I have always thought they should be chocolate. . .
Anonymous said…
Maybe its time I break out my madeline pan as well. My mother gave me hers about 5 years ago - and its gathering cabinet dust. I love the idea of dunking them in hot chocolate, especially during these cold & rainy day. Thanks!
Unknown said…
Do it! And let us know which recipe you use and how they turn out.

Love the baked apples photo on your blog, Pebbles, Thanks so much for visiting!
It seems we all have this thing about madeleine pans. We buy them. I used mine once and then not for 20 years. I did the ones out of Dorie Greenspans book recently and they realy are terrific little gems. I love the lemon. I should try the chocolate.
Unknown said…
I guess we should have a madeleine back off?

Anybody care to share favorite recipes?
savvycityfarmer said…
Wait for me while I run over to Williams Sonoma for a pan....
Unknown said…
I like the shapes of the shells in the Williams-Sonoma pans much better. I bought mine for $6 at TJ Maxx.

I may start doing madeleines the way I do scones...
Anonymous said…
Delicious...
I will have to acquire a Madeleine pan AND a double boiler - neither of which I have ever owned. You have a wonderful site here Mimi.
Unknown said…
Thanks for the visit, Gladys. You can cobble together a double boiler, but the pan is a must.
Anonymous said…
Yes, yes, yes, there should be a madeleine bake-off. I've always wanted one of those pans and this would give me an excuse to buy one.

And I know just what you mean about baking while it snows. Being inside puttering about in the kitchen during a snowstorm is one of my favorite things. Of course, here in Maryland I get a chance to do it only once or twice a winter.
Unknown said…
I would love it if it snowed just once or twice a winter.

Actually, we've been pretty lucky in recent winters. The only bad one in six years was 03-04.

Ok, who wants to do a madeleine bake off?
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the madeleine recipe. I want to try it.

Popular Posts