McCormick Spice Flavor Forecast 2007

Grandma Annie always had a filled candy jar, especially this time of year, when Christmas leftovers were plentiful. More often than not, her jar was packed with little red-and-white striped pillows stuffed with peppermint creme.

What I very soon discovered was that more goodies were tucked away behind the centerpiece on her dining room buffet: Salted peanuts.

At about age 6, I tried the two together — mint and nut — and a lifelong craving for salt and sugar combinations was born.

I still cannot resist an unusual combination. It need not be sweet and salty. Mustard is one of my favorites: When honey-mustard flavors became widely available in everything from pretzels to potato chips, I was ecstatic.

A recipe that features unconventional pairings is irresistible to me. Fortunately, they are all over the blogosphere.

In January, when McCormick Spices sends out its annual flavor forecast to food writers I am always intrigued.

This year the top 10 pairings are, according to McCormick:

• Clove and green apple
• Thyme and tangerine
• Tellicherry black pepper and berry
• Sea salt and smoked lavender
• Lavendar and honey
• Crystallized ginger and salted pistachio
• Cumin and apricot
• Toasted mustard and fennel seeds
• Wasabi and Maple
• Carmelized garlic and Riesling vinegar

Lavender and honey, of course, are old friends.

Clove and green apple I can imagine: A burst of fresh tempered by a bite. I dipped a dried apricot into cumin and was instantly transported to a Middle East bazaar.



Thyme and tangerine: A heady night in the Mediterranean. Mustard seed and fennel? Provence, sunny and sweet. Sea salt and smoked tea: Imagine this rubbed into a steak, grilled to perfection.


You can try these and the others in recipes offered by McCormick. (No, I am not paid by McCormick. But I do get a a lot of interesting food mail at my day job. The annual flavor forecast is my favorite.)

What's your favorite taste combination? Be bold — and unconventional. (I like apple jelly on soda crackers, another throwback to childhood.)

Comments

I've just recently started working with fruit (berries, mango, watermelon) and black pepper -- I'd never thought about that before. It's amazing what a pinch of black pepper will do to fruit sorbets.

Have fun with your experiments!
Unknown said…
Brings out the taste, I'll bet.

A year os so ago, someone gave us some chocolates that were very layered in taste, lots of chile pepper, etc., but also hints of lime and herbs. It was like trying to identify the elements in a glass of wine.

Of course, I've loved chocolate and orange for years.
Unknown said…
I guess I should point out that in places like San Francisco and New York, these flavor combinations are not especially unusual. In fact, I've had some interesting taste matchups at good Wisconsin restaurants.

But, trust me, for the most part, middle America is not pairing clove with green apple.
Jann said…
Well, I love learning about all these pairings-different parts of the country have selections uncommon to most, don't you agree?
Unknown said…
I do, Jann, and I hope people who read this will share, because I'm always looking for new tastes!
Anonymous said…
I don't admit this too readily but when I was a child I used to eat mustard and marshmallow sandwiches. I would hide behind the curtains because even at the tender age of 5 I knew this was an odd culinary pairing. Although, in retrospect, sweet and sour isn't that odd, is it?
Unknown said…
You might have been on to something, Andrea.

I used to love soda crackers dipped in Coca-Cola. Fruit and any kind of poultry has been a favorite pairing for years.

I resolve to make 2007 the year of new and daring tastes.
Anonymous said…
This is so interesting. Thanks for the post!

Like Andrea, my strange taste combo involves Peanut Butter as well, but it is peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. Sounds gross, I know, but it really is pretty good!
Unknown said…
Funny you should mention that, Kristen. Somewhere, I have a recipe for baked beans with peanut butter and I think one of the key ingredients is mustard.

Very good, very hearty, very Midwest. I think the dish would go well with corn bread.

I like jam on cornbread, by the way, preferably apple.
Anonymous said…
My dear Dad likes maple syrup on corn bread...he also taught me to love a slice of REAL(from the deli) American cheese on a homemade oatmeal cookie...I then have to revert back to my "weird blog" and mention jam on an egg sandwich...come close to jam on cornbread does it not?
Unknown said…
Yup, sure does. You know, I can imagine cheese and oatmeal cookies. I really can.

I like grapes and blue cheese.
Anonymous said…
I was always into peanut butter and mayo; salt on melons all kinds of melons.
Unknown said…
Salt on melons, another good one.

Sel de fleur on carmels!

Popular Posts