Blue Cheese Terrine with Spiced Walnuts

Like many people, when my father swore in French when he was only pretending to be angry.

“Sacrébleu,” sometimes shortened to "sacré," was a favorite. There were others that when translated should not be mentioned on a family blog.

There is some debate as to exactly what “sacrébleu” really means. Of course, literally translated, it means “sacred blue.” I've heard the phrase was once an oath, “By God,” and thus was originally “Sacré Dieu." But the word “bleu” was substituted to make the phrase less blasphemous.

Baloney. I think it has to do with cheese. Blue cheese. That stuff is so good it ought to be canonized. It is my favorite, or one of my many cheese favorites. I took an online quiz, "What Type of Cheese Are You?" and found that I am, of course, blue cheese. Was there ever any doubt? Mais, non.

Blue cheese is cow or goat cheese that has been allowed to get moldy, hence the streaks of blue or sometimes green. There are many varieties of blue cheese. Few are available this far north. Rosenborg’s Danish Blue is usually the best I can find locally. It is an acquired taste, and here in Cheddarland, I know many people who have not acquired it.

I had a rather copious amount of blue left over from New Years. Blue cheese grows more pungent with time: It is best eaten fresh (and at room temperature). So had I to find a way to use it.

Blue Cheese Terrine with Spiced Walnuts


  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups walnuts
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 12 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
  • 2 1/2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
  • 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons brandy
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped chives


Blend salt, cumin, cardamom and pepper in a medium bowl. Sauté walnuts in oil in a heavy skillet. Add sugar and continue sautéing until sugar turns light brown. Pour nuts and sugar into the seasoning bowl and set aside to cool. Toss so each nut is coated.

Chop chives and parsley. Blend in a small bowl and set aside.

Meanwhile, allow cheese and butter to reach room temperature. Beat with an electric beater, if necessary, warming slightly in the microwave to making beating easier. When mixture is relatively smooth, mix in chopped onions and brandy.

Grease an 8.5 x 2.5 inch bread pan and line it with plastic wrap. Layer cheese mixture, followed by nuts and then spices. Repeat, until you have used up your ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Unmold onto platter, carefully peeling away the plastic wrap. Use a spatula to gently pry the plastic wrap away from the pan. Garnish brown sugar. Serve with pear slices, red grapes or dried apricots.

The recipe is adapted from the September 1996 issue of Bon Appétit and originated by Monique Barbeau of Fullers at the Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers. I found it on Epicurious.

This terrine turned out to be more time consuming than I like an appetizer to be. I swear I'll never to to make it again on a work night. I'm not sure I'll ever make it again, period, unless I've got a houseful of people who like blue cheese as much as I do.

A Blog to Visit: I find it hard resist a blog with the tagline "Good Food. Great Stories. I Swear" so I'm a regular over at Terry B's meticulous blog, Blue Kitchen. It's attractive, well-designed and professional in its approach. The recipes look good and the photos are dazzling — among the best I've seen in a food blog. Being a writer, I always notice the writing first and Terry's is top notch. Read why he chose the name Blue Kitchen. Read the list of music he listens to. You will be charmed.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Mimi, thanks so much for your kind words! I too am a fan of well-crafted writing and luscious photography. That's what keeps me coming back to your kitchen.

As a self-taught expert on swearing, I understand your father using French for his pretend cursing. The language is simply too beautiful to take it seriously when heavy-duty swearing is called for. Years ago, I was staying in a rather seedy little tourist home on a busy intersection in Montreal. In the middle of the night, two young men started a screaming fight from opposite curbs across several lanes of traffic. In the midst of streams of French, they would periodically drop F-bombs in English. That's when I knew they were really angry.
Unknown said…
Terry, you are a writer in real life, aren't you? Yes, French is too lovely a language for cursing.

I am glad you are gathered round my kitchen table, Terry.
Anonymous said…
well, that does it for me, the next chance I get there will be blue cheese in this house, which can't come fast enough!

as for language, to my ears, anything said in French is music to my ears.
So, the terrine is worth making if you're into blue cheese but too much trouble if you're not? I really love blue cheese and the walnuts with it sound delightful.
Unknown said…
F2B, this was a tough one, but if you like blue cheese, you will love it. It's very good with brown sugar. I used the brown sugar and Splenda blend.

Tanna, there is so much of it! I will be eating it for every meal for the next week. It's a great terrine for a crowd, but even for a blue cheese lover, it might be overkill.

But I thought it was delightful. I had it for breakfast.
Anonymous said…
I understand about not making it again unless you have a house full of people to eat it. Making something that creates lots of leftovers of the kind that aren't easily frozen is always a dilemma for me. Our household is a two person household except when my son is around, and there's any number of things that we will never work our way thru even if we eat it at every meal. Plus, you can get pretty sick of something you're eating constantly, even if it's something you love.

And I agree -- Terry's blog is excellent!
Unknown said…
Exactly, Julie. There are only two of us. Don't know why I bought so much blue cheese in the first place. My husband is not as enthusiastic as I am about it.
Farmgirl Cyn said…
"Sacrebleu" is right! I, too, am a bleu cheese fan. I've had some French bleu, can't remember where i got it, but...it was THE creamiest bleu cheese I had ever eaten. SO very delicious!
As for music to cook by...Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella, any of the oldies!
Once again, thank you for singing the praises of blue/bleu cheese. If folks in your area haven't acquired the taste for it...well, that's more left for you!

Music to cook by? Something I can sing to, or something I can dance to!
Unknown said…
Ah, yes the oldies — great for cooking, Cyn. I knew someone hear would mention those artists.

I often sing Ella while cooking, Lydia.

Is there anyone out there who chooses music to match or contrast to what they are preparing?
Anonymous said…
Stilton with cranberries...hands down~~~~~~Trader Joe's deli....I usually sing or hum while I cook....and no I'm not the next American Idol.
Unknown said…
Stilton with cranberries is good. So is brie with cranberries.
Erin S. said…
oohh...yum!! I'm always looking for new ways to eat cheese.
Jann said…
this is one way I would love to eat this cheese-and all of it! I usually bring some of this back with me , but I will tell you, it does start to smell after a time.
Unknown said…
Erin, Jann, thanks for visiting. Yeah, it's good but a bit pungent.

Jann, I had a heck of a time in Detroit bringing olivesinto the country — how do you do it?
Anonymous said…
Mimi,

Thank you for mentioning my blog here - it's so great!

I think about the wonderful people I've met through foodblogging and it makes me really happy.

I'm not too familiar to your kitchen yet but I'll certainly be.

I took the cute quiz and I'm a blue cheese, too. :D
Unknown said…
Isn't that a cute llittle quiz? I took it again, with my second place answers and came out Brie. Now there is a genetic reason for that one!

Popular Posts