Cold Turkey Salad with Curry, Apricots and Cashews

It's been years since I've cooked a turkey.

I cooked my first turkey in grad school, when the publishing company I worked for gave them to all employees, even contract editors. I had no choice: There wasn't enough room in my freezer to store it, so I prepared it well before Thanksgiving. I lived on leftovers all winter long. Not a bad deal when you're a student.



But my husband isn't overly fond of turkey, so we make other menu plans for Thanksgiving. And so, alas, there are no leftovers.

But there were in 2007, when I originally posted this recipe, which I often make with chicken:

Curried Turkey Salad With Cashews and Apricots (serves 2-4)
  • 2 cups turkey, cut into chunks
  • 3/4 cup celery, chopped
  • ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
  • ½ cup sweet onion, chopped
  • ½ cup cashews or almonds
  • 2 scant teaspoons curry
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • dash cumin
  • dash sea salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup low-sugar apricot jam

Toss the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Blend the mayonnaise and the jam and drizzle over the salad.

You could certainly turn up the heat on this salad. I admit that I like a touch of heat, but I'm pretty much a wimp when it comes to more than a touch.

Unfortunately, I don't have an updated photo. Remember when the food photo trend was to get up close to the food?



Comments

Popular Posts