Fast and Frugal: Roasted Cauliflower with Peppers and Parmesan



Recently my husband and I were forced to buy a new washer and dryer. We went all the way and purchased a set that really does make laundry chores easier, plus an ionic water-purifying system that makes detergent unnecessary.

While Mr. Frenchtown Kitchen was arranging for delivery, I was checking out new stoves and refrigerators on the showroom floor. I've got my eye on a couple models. Unfortunately, the ones I have are not yet a decade old, so we'll probably hang on to them for a while.

But the fridge is due for a major reorg. That will make it feel almost as good as new.

The need to use up a bag of cauliflower, some onions, and a red pepper, plus a nearly-empty carton of grated Parmesan cheese resulted in this side dish. But as soon as inspiration struck, I wondered: Can I make a bag of frozen cauliflower taste good?



I haven't been grocery shopping in days, since I've been laid low with blocked eustachian tubes, a condition which seems to worsen when I go out into the cold. My husband makes an early-morning run for bagels, but I'm not always up by then. So, I had to make do with what I had on hand, or ask him to run to the store.

I like making do, as you well know. Here's the result:

Roasted Cauliflower with Red Pepper and Parmesan (serves 2)
  • 1 16-ounce package frozen cauliflower
  • 1 red pepper, cubed
  • 1 cipollini onion, peeled and cubed
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • dash sea salt and freshly-ground pepper
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Prepare red pepper and onion. Set aside. Grease a shallow baking dish or casserole dish - about 9-x-9 inch pan will do.

Empty cauliflower into baking dish. Add pepper and onion. Drizzle with olive oil. Season evenly. Toss.

Roast on middle rack of oven for about 30-40 minutes, checking at least twice, and stirring so that cauliflower browns slightly and evenly. 

I thought it was great. You can make frozen cauliflower palatable. It was not as crunchy as fresh would be, but it wasn't mushy. I ended up adding a bit more sea salt than I should have, but it would have been fine without it.

I would serve this as a side dish with a beef entree and a green salad. To be honest, it was my entree. And my side dish. And my dessert. 

Comments

Popular Posts