Roasted Red Cipollini Onion Quarters with Brussels Sprouts


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Red Cipollini Onions

Obviously I was terrified of begin snowed in without access to vegetables this winter. I have a freezer full of them, especially Brussels sprouts.*



I must eat them before growing season. Although that isn't showing any sign of happening this year.

Last night we had pork chops with apple-jelly-and-thyme from this recipe, from Wisconsin's own Taste of Home Magazine, baking them instead of grilling, along with these potatoes, omitting the thyme.

Our side dish was Brussels sprouts, roasted to almost-dessert like sweetness, and red cipollini onion quarters and just a touch of pomegranate balsamic vinegar for zip.

The sweet herbiness of the pork, the earthy flavor of the potatoes and the marriage of tastes in the vegetables was a perfect menage a trois.

Roasted Red Cipollini Onion Quarters with Brussels Sprouts

  • 5-6 small red cipollini onions, peeled and quartered
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 bag frozen Brussels sprouts
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.

Peel and quarter the onions, placing them in a small bowl. Coat with balsamic vinegar. This is what I used.

In a small roasting pan - I used a low casserole dish - toss the still-frozen Brussels sprouts with olive oil and seasonings. And onions with balsamic and toss further. Place in the oven for about 45 minutes.

Since I only have one oven, I cooked the vegetables at 400 for about 30 minutes, then lowered the oven to 375 for the pork, allowing the vegetables to cook further at the lower temperature. I cooked the pork for an hour.

The trio of tastes was perfect. This combination of recipes is a keeper.

* I was really afraid of being without cipollini onions and I purchased at least a ton from Immerfrost Farm.

Comments

Popular Posts