Throwback Thursday: Chicken Salad with Olives and Clementines

Chicken Salad with Olives and Clementines

I have not tired of clementines yet, and I've been eating them for two months now. It is time to DO something with them, work them into a recipe. This could be it, since I have all the ingredients on hand. I might even try it with canned tuna (see below). I know I will use a sweet cipollini onion.



From 2007: When I was a kid, Sunday afternoons in winter were dedicated to plopping myself down on the couch in the den (the room in which the television and bookcases were located) with several oranges and a good book.

I read voraciously and ate just as heartily. Especially oranges in winter. I could not get enough of them.

I crave oranges. So when I found this little salad with oranges and olives, it sounded perfect. The original recipe, from the collection at Epicurious calls for canned tuna. But I roasted a whole chicken on Sunday and I thought I'd prefer it my way.

Chicken Salad With Clementines, Olives and Red Peppers
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3 seedless oranges or 5 clementines, peel and white pith removed
  • 1 small red cipollini onion, halved, thinly sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks 
  • 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 8 cups mixed salad greens
  • 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • Parsley (optional)

Blend oil, vinegar and garlic in large bowl. Peel and slice oranges, removing membranes. Toss into bowl, adding other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with almonds.

I've learned to love the contrast and balance of olives with citrus. I added a dash of red pepper to give this salad a bit more bite and color.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Comments

Popular Posts