Rice Krispie® Bars with Peanut Butter and Oatmeal

My version of the classic rice cereal bar.

About a week ago, I stumbled upon a blog post from someone complaining about the many versions of Rice Krispie® bar recipes floating around.

I have no idea where I came across the post. Or even if I really read it. I couldn't find it in a search and it wasn't in my browser history. It may have been a nasty dream.

Because I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy Rice Krispie® Treats.



I don't eat them often. But about 18 months ago, I did some experimenting and came up with my own take on this after-school-snack classic.

Brown Rice Krispie® Bars with Peanut Butter and Oatmeal.
  • 6 Tablespoons butter
  • 10-ounce bag miniature marshmallows
  • 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 5 cups Brown Rice Krispies® Gluten Free cereal
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut
  • Chopped nuts (optional) 

Grease an 9x13 rectangular baking dish. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large saucepan or even a stockpot over medium low heat. Add marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, stirring constantly until it melts. Next, add Rice Krispies, oatmeal, rice and coconut.

Quickly pour mixture into baking dish. Grease the backside of a stainless steal spatula to press down on mixture so it is tightly packed into the pan. Allow to cool before cutting into squares. It should yield 12-24 squares, depending on size.

The bars are gooey, chewy and crunchy enough to satisfy. The possibilities for variations are vast: Dried apple, cranberry, apricot, any kind of nut, sunflower or pumpkin seeds. You could also toss in M&M candies, chocolate, butterscotch or cinnamon chips, caramels or other candy.

Portions of this post appeared on A Humble Little Cafe in October 2012.

Comments

Sharon said…
Mimi, this is an interesting twist. Would the recipe work if I left the peanut butter out? Would I have to substitute something else with similar characteristics of PB?

I was Rice Krispie Bar deprived when I was a child. My mother never made them. The only time I got to have them was during 'Cookie Day' at Washington Grade school. Parents donated homemade cookies and we chose the ones we wanted from what seemed to me at the time as endless long tables. I think for 5 cents a piece. Ahhh...cookie day. One of the joys of childhood! Anyway, I want to make up for my deprivation with your gooey, crunchy sounding recipe. Sans PB...if you think it will work.
Unknown said…
Sharon, I think you could increase the butter (actually, I think I might have used Smart Balance). I'd go with an entire stick.

The peanut butter helps moisten the oatmeal. Honey - app. 1/4 cup - would do the same.

Popular Posts