Gingery-Orange Broccoli-Tofu Stir Fry

Gingery-Orange Broccoli-Tofu Stir Fry
In the pack of my freezer, lurked a package of broccoli spears. It was only after moving five bags of Brussels sprouts and four bags of green beans that I found it.

I've never had much luck with frozen broccoli, but I read somewhere that it can be palatable if you stir fry it in rather hot oil.

So that's what I did, adding a few extras.



Gingery-Orange Broccoli-Stir Fry with Tofu

For the sauce:
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar 
  • dash hot sauce
  • dash lemon juice
For the stir fry:
  • 1 bag of broccoli, preferably chopped
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed
  • 1 large carrot, julienned
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • dash lemon juice
  • large handful of cashews, optional

Make the sauce in advance by combing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the vegetable oil and add the broccoli, direct from the bag. Do not rinse the broccoli. Add garlic. Brown the broccoli, moving it with a spatula to ensure even cooking and browning. Add more oil if the broccoli becomes too dry.

After about 5 minutes, add the tofu, ginger, red pepper and lemon juice. When tofu begins to brown, add the sauce turn the heat to medium. Reduce heat to low, if necessary, and allow to simmer for at least 10 minutes. 

The broccoli held up well, but I would have preferred to use fresh.

This dish was a bit hot for my palate. I cannot imagine adding sriracha, but it's an option for those of you who like it hot.

Before serving, I decided to add water chestnuts. I wish I had made this with roasted or stir fried red pepper, too.



Comments

Popular Posts