Curried Turkey Salad with Dried Apricots and Cashews


The marauding bands of wild turkeys are at it again.

Every spring, they venture into town, harassing motorists and delighting — or scaring — kids. And then people call me.

Am I the turkey patrol or something?

Apparently I am. A few years ago my town was plagued by wild turkeys. OK, by five turkeys. But people were scared. Very scared. And they called me.

Finally, around April Fool’s Day, I wrote a story about them. The turkeys, I mean. It took all of 20 minutes to write and it was done with tongue in cheek. Oh, it was factual, but it was also funny.

Then the wire service picked it up. A version of it ran on the front page of nearly every major newspaper in the country. “A Current Affair” called. Someone claims they saw the story on “Countdown With Keith Olbermann.”

(Thankfully, it did not run under my byline or I would be known as Turkey Woman.)

My little town acquired a reputation for fearing turkeys. And it was all my fault.

The turkeys are back. And the calls are coming in again.

I like turkeys. Every once in a while, I find one in my yard.

Recently, I found a bag of white turkey meat in my freezer, a left over from Christmas. I surveyed my pantry, which is never as full as Lydia’s, and came up with this cold salad.

Curried Turkey Salad With Cashews and Apricots


  • 2 cups turkey, cut into chunks
  • 3/4 cup celery, chopped
  • ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
  • ½ cup sweet onion, chopped
  • ½ cup cashews or almonds
  • 2 teaspoons curry
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • dash cumin
  • dash sea salt


1 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar-free apricot jam

Toss the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend the mayonnaise and the jam and drizzle over the salad.

Not bad for one of my slapdash meals. I like a hint of curry; you may want to add more for a bit more bite.

It was good the next day, too. I ate it for breakfast.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, this is funny, yes, imagining you as the turkey woman, but in the end, the great thing about you is that you always give us a tasty, simple recipe that I know we all think about when we go to the grocery store or look in our cupboards. I know I will be making something like this (maybe with chicken?) very soon. Thanks.

Mary
www.ceresandbacchus.com
Kalyn Denny said…
I think it sounds great. Love how you made the dressing!
You always tickle me up good Mimi. This sounds really good to me. You had it for breakfast...one way to do the breakfast jam on toast!
Great photos!
Mimi, the marauding wild turkeys are here in Rhode Island, too! I love watching them waddle across the fields -- and sometimes across the roads -- and sometimes through my garden. I hope they're enjoying the first signs of Spring as much as I am. Wonderful turkey salad recipe; I have a turkey breast waiting to be cooked, plus all of the other ingredients in my pantry. Is my pantry overstuffed, or am I just very, very prepared???!
Unknown said…
Mary, I love these tossed-together salads, because they are so versatile. I've made this with everything imaginable. Well, a version of it.

It's pretty SB, more or less, isn't it Kalyn? So happy I can have dried apricots on Phase Two.

Tanna, sometimes I have tuna salad for breakfast, too.

Lydia, you are just very prepared. I think wild turkeys are everywhere in spring - the wire services just turned a very simple little story into a feeding frenzy!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for my early morning chuckle. Nice way to start a day with a smile. I am definitely trying the salad recipe. And to go back a few posts. I fixed your garlic rosemary chicken over the weekend and it was to die for, so juicy and moist. Thanks for the great recipe.
Farmgirl Cyn said…
I make a similar salad using dried cranberries. And, for the most part, I am a "leftovers for breakfast" kind of gal! This would be right up my alley around 10:30 am.
That is so funny! Could we find the article anywhere?

The salad looks yummy. Another of your recipes for me to try!
Unknown said…
Judy, that chicken was so good, I think I am doing it for Easter, instead of ham.

Cyn, I've eaten cole slaw and pizza for breakfast and loved it.

Laura, the original is not online, but I might be able to find the AP version.
Anonymous said…
Mimi, the tukey woman. ;) I loved that story though and the recipe sounds yummy.
Unknown said…
Eileen, I think I am due for another turkey story.

Certainly another turkey salad - this was pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Anonymous said…
Oh, this sounds really yummy! And it looks just as good.
Anonymous said…
Despite the sudden cold snap--it's snowing in Chicago right now--it's getting to be the season for lots of chicken salads and, as you have so beautifully done here, turkey salads.

I'll often just toss some cut up leftover chicken with a little mayo, curry powder and salt and pepper. Delicious and quick. But now you've got me thinking about adding a little fruit--maybe some of the leftover golden raisins from my recent garam masala oatmeal cookie adventure.
Unknown said…
Terri and TerryB, I like the addition of fruit to a poultry salad. It seems to balance the savory seasonings we tend to use. Dried fruits, like raisins, cranberries, and apricots are my winter favorites, but I like apples, grapes and pineapple, too.

It's snowing here, off and on, but at least the elections are over with! Always cause to celebrate.
ChrisB said…
This is one to temp the taste buds particularly with such a beautiful photo.
Unknown said…
Thanks, Chris. For a lightish photo, it turned out OK. I am still learning.
Christine said…
I really like the sound of this, Mimi, and will save it to del.icio.us.
What a hoot about the turkeys. Great story!
Unknown said…
Christine, I think this one's a keeper. Of course, there are dozens that were not, including some made from recipes in reputable cookbooks. Sometimes you get it right.
savvycityfarmer said…
It's midnight and I'm starving
Betty Carlson said…
How funny! I love a good April Fool's joke. And your turkey salad looks great -- one of my spring resolutions is to make more full-meal salads for dinner.

Popular Posts