Yes, Nice Does Matter


I was delighted the other day when Mary aka Breadchick from The Sour Dough, a fellow blogger and Yooper (that is, someone from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or the U.P.) named me in her Nice Matters Awards.

Mary is one of the many bloggers I've met online who is just plain nice. Courtesy, politeness, support and encouragement matter in the blog world as they do in our everyday lives.

My father always said, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." And he was always charming, whatever else he was or wasn't.

He was also very polite. I used to hear him ordering food and supplies by phone. He sounded almost humble, he was so polite.

He also used to say, "If you can't say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all." I never, never heard him badmouth anyone.

I have not always lived up to those standards. But I do try.

I have been lucky though. I have met all of you, and you have been patient with me over the past few months. You have visited me, even though I often do not have time to repay the visits.

So, in my mind, you are all pretty nice.

But there are several of you who have been with me for more than a year now, really offering advice and encouragement. So, while I salute all my blog friends, I especially mention the following food bloggers, who have visited my site frequently and posted, even when I was missing in action:


  • The lovely and thoughtful Jan from The Traveling Food Lady


  • The gracious and kind Christine from Christine Cooks


  • Another upbeat and witty midwesterner, Katie from Thyme for Cooking


  • A fine fellow food writer with a charitable heart, Lydia from The Perfect Pantry


  • The creative and always cheerful Tanna from My Kitchen In Half Cups


  • Now there are many others who have been helpful, friendly, caring. Erica, Kalyn, Laura, TerryB, Terri, Cyn, CF, Lucy, Judy, Toni, Kristen, Julie, Andrea, and the many newcomers who have surfaced in the last six months. Not to mention my non-cyber friends who visit here (you know who you are). But these five have gone the distance with me.

    I have a hard time narrowing things down. This is tough.

    So, what the heck. You are all nice.

    Oh, yeah, what about the photo? I thought that was nice, too.

    Comments

    Judy said…
    Mimi, I liked the photo too!! Thank you for mentioning me...that was very sweet and kind of you. I do love your posts. Like you I have started a new job and I don't have time to visit all my favorite blogs so I've had to really limit them. Yours is one that is at the top of my list so I visit often. I was very seriously thinking of starting my own blog but that is on the back burner for now. Oh well, some day. Until then, you are at the top of my list and will remain there. Have a wonderful day, you are the best.
    Unknown said…
    Thank you, Judy. I so appreciate your visits and comments. You are always kind, nice, too.
    Mimi, thank you so much. This is the nicest post I've read today, and the other bloggers you mentioned are all favorites of mine as well. And I agree, your photo is nice -- better than nice -- it's beautiful.
    breadchick said…
    Mimi, what a great list of nice bloggers!

    Your memories of your dad ordering food on the phone brought back memories of my dad doing exactly the same thing. I could hear his voice in the kitchen as talked with his meat suppliers. Must have been something about chefs from the UP and how they were raised (and then raised their daughters).

    I'm so glad that you are enjoying your new job (even if it does keep you a bit busy).

    And the photo is nice too!
    Unknown said…
    Mary, I cannot believe how much we have in common; my father use to order from the kitchen, too.

    I have found so much common ground with other bloggers, too; it continues to amaze me. I am so blessed to have this group of friends!

    Thanks for starting this, Mary!
    Katie Zeller said…
    Mimi, that is so sweet! Goodness, it has been way over a year since that first email, hasn't it? Time flies. You've planned, been to and are back to planning, a trip to Paris....
    Glad you like your new job; it sounds like fun - esp. the trips up north.
    Could it be father's who lived through the war are just, well, nicer? Mine was a sweetie, too!
    Unknown said…
    I think the war did both good and bad for that generation. I recently watched the Kens Burns series. I did not realize how horrible Hurtgen Forest was. I think that is where my father was shot. It explains a lot.

    I hope you get a chance to see it, Katie. Good series.
    I do love how this "nice" has gone around to all the very nicest. You are certainly on my nicest list Mimi. Thank you!
    I often wonder what I don't know about my parents.
    Unknown said…
    Thanks, Tanna! Yes, our parents have their secrets, I guess. I'm glad Ken Burns does what he does, bringing history and a few secrets home to us...
    Jann said…
    Mimi, I was so very deeply touched by your comment about some of your blogger friends.... I am honored to be a part of the group that was mentioned.I would have to agree with you on the fine choice,even though you "know and blog" to so many wonderful people in this blogger-universe....I have never found a more compassionate group of people that write in this "food" group.....incredible talent and skills! Your skills belong in a book~and no doubt, in time, that will come and be a joy to all of us. Warmth and love radiate from your articles about your family and France......that touches the heart of many of us.....there lies a reason why so many of us love to read your posts.... You and I share this incredible passion for France and all things French...that touches my heart! Thanks, Mimi, you made my day!
    Toni said…
    Yes, the photo is "nice", too! (Gorgeous, actually!) Thanks for mentioning me, Mimi. You have always beat the drum of politeness and kindness, and have done so with so much warmth and generosity. It's one of the things I've always loved about you.
    Unknown said…
    Thank You, Jann and Toni. I do cherish our friendships and hope some day we can all meet. Preferably in Paris. Or Provence.

    I am blessed to have you all, as well as several other friends who post comments here. One lives nearby, while the others are scattered.

    Yes, nice does matter.

    Now about size...
    Erika W. said…
    What a thoughtful post Mimi. It wasn't that long ago that many of us were trying to bring back some niceness in the blogosphere after some not so nice things...I think your blog, and all the ones you've mentioned are some of the reasons that kindness and manners seems to have returned.

    I love the idea of a blog-gathering in Paris- imagine the fun we'd all have and the memories made!
    Unknown said…
    Yes, I think we are on to something, Erika. To the bio market on the Boulevard Raspail (instead of Woodmans!)...
    It IS a nice photo. And YOU are wonderfully nice. :) Thoughtful and true, that's what I think you are.
    Unknown said…
    Thank you, Laura. You are a good woman.
    Christine said…
    How very, very sweet of you to include me in your list, Mimi. Like Jann, I am very touched by your sentiments. If there were more people like you in the world there would be way fewer wars, I'm sure of it.
    Thank you for being you!
    Unknown said…
    Thank and you are welcome, Christine. The older I get, the more tolerant I get, too. I wonder if I've just developed a thicker skin?
    Anonymous said…
    A little bit of nice goes a long way, and this is a very nice blog.

    I'm not a blogger, nor do I visit that many, but I always get the nice vibes when I come here.
    Anonymous said…
    This award couldn't have gone to a more perfect blogger!

    Popular Posts