Kitchen Tools: Essential for a Kitchen Dominatrix

I bought a new whip in Paris.

Really, it's a ball whisk, a relatively new tool which features weighted, vibrating balls on stainless steel rods. This arrangement promises to provide good results with less effort. (I certainly support the notion of less effort.) So far, it has lived up to its promises. Restraint is key: Don't overdo it with this utensil.

It was during our pilgrimage to E. Dehillerin, that dusty commercial cathedral to the art of the kitchen, that I found my new weapon. Actually, it was Kim, the charming salesman who led me to it, after he found me a copper bowl for egg whites.

The ball whisk is excellent for whipping little clumps of flour into submission in any pan or bowl. The balls allow you to reach the insides of pans, the dark little places where the bottoms and sides meet, a feat that is difficult to perform with a wire whisk. To read more, click here.

(As Kim pointed out, the ball whisk can also be used as a scalp massage tool. It feels pretty good.)

When I packed our suitcases, I carefully wrapped the whisk in its original paper and attached the receipt from Dehillerin. Just in case someone rifling through my luggage thought it was a sex toy. You never know about these things.

The whisk got its first real workout when I made Bearnaise sauce for my Chateaubriand on Thanksgiving. It performed admirably.

You don't have to go to Paris to buy one, although I recommend it. You can buy a ball whisk from many online sources.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

I have had Dehillerin on my places-to-go-before-I-die list for many years. So glad you were able to go there, and to bring home such wonderful tools. I'm green with envy.
Unknown said…
This particular tool was a good investment,and it's the best whisk I have. So much easier to clean than a wire whisk, too, Lydia.
Oh goody! I've looked many times at the ball whisk and wondered. Now I have just one more reason to plan another trip to Paris! Excellent!
Unknown said…
Go! Go! It's been way too long. (Three weeks is way to long in my book, Tanna.)
Judy said…
I have seen the whisks but didn't know why I would need one...now I do!!! It is now on my "must have" list. Maybe Santa will bring me one. Have a wonderful day and thanks for another great post.
Unknown said…
Judy, I'm having fun with this. Hope Santa delivers for you! Thanks for your comments.
Farmgirl Cyn said…
Sex toy? That is TOO funny! I have never seen one of these. Very interesting!
Unknown said…
Well, Cyn, you never know who is going through your suitcase these days!
Anonymous said…
Oh how cool is that? I have never even seen one of those before! Too cool! Added to my wish list :)
Unknown said…
I used it again tonight, Kristen, and it is wonderful!
Anonymous said…
I remember reading about about E. Dehillerin on Chlotilde's blog and thinking it sounded utterly charming and was the sort of place I could happily while away many shopping hours. Lucky you to have been able to visit E. Dehillerin.
Unknown said…
Julie, it was truly a fascinating experience, and I will try to get there again next fall.

Popular Posts