Roasted Asparagus and Red Pepper Salad with Chevre and Bacon

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" and "Shop locally - check your pantry" are two phrases I've been hearing a lot of lately.

Except for the doing without, I'm pretty good at being frugal. If someone would have told me even a few years ago that the penurious years of college and the early stages of my career would train me for the rest of my life, I might have been shocked. But I'm closer to retirement than college now, and I'm wondering just what the future holds. We're lucky for now. For now.

So I continue to save scraps of this and that for future soups and stews. My freezer is filled with odds and ends, that make for some pretty interesting and sometimes inspired meal pairings.

Sunday night, we had four red peppers and a bunch of asparagus in the crisper. We wanted a light meal. My husband was feeling flu-ish and I was sure I was next.

Roasted Asparagus and Red Pepper Salad with Chevre and Bacon
  • 3-4 red peppers, washed and trimmed into strips.
  • 10-15 asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
  • 1-2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 medium shallots, cut into thin slices
  • 2 tablespoons chevre
  • 1 tablespoon bacon bits

Pre heat oven to 425. Coat peppers and asparagus and roast them until they begin to turn brown along the edges. You may want to give the red peppers a 10-minute head start. While the vegetables are roasting, brown the shallots in olive oil in a small skillet until they turn transparent and golden. Once the vegetables are roasted, allow to cool for 3 minutes and layer them on a salad plate, sprinkling chevre and bacon bits. Season with fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper.

I added this dressing

This salad would be great with a sausage-based dish or with herbed chicken.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Simple and elegant -- I'd be thrilled to be served this salad any day of the week. I think the key is always having some great cheese on hand. You don't need much to elevate a salad or vegetable dish or soup to something great.
Unknown said…
It is simple, Lydia, and that's what does it for me. You are right about cheese, too.
Betty Carlson said…
I've read about frugal being the new chic. Does this mean I will become chic? I'm not sure if that is good news for the economy, though.

I too enjoy seeing what I can create from whatever is lying around the kitchen. Your salad looks lovely.
Unknown said…
Betty C, I think we need to balance frugal with supporting our local businesses. I don't know how "chic" it is - LOL.

It was a good salad. Too bad I cannot stop tinkering with recipes...
What a gorgeous salad. I love all of the ingredients and have to give this one a try. I adore anything French and will return soon.
Sam
Unknown said…
Welcome, My Carolina Kitchen! I love the Carolinas! What a wonderful part of the world!

I will visit you, too!

Popular Posts