Bacon-Wrapped Baked Pears with Chevre and Walnuts for Two

When my husband and I moved back to our home town 17 years ago, we found it difficult to dine out in the manner to which we had become accustomed living in larger cities.

Everything was fried! There were two restaurants in the traditional supper club style, both along the shore, and these we patronized. We'd sit at the bar sipping cocktails before dinner, and generally order steak or seafood. At one point, the restaurants switched owners, which turned out to be rather fun. The smaller of the two was purchased several times over, and finally closed about eight years ago.

In the interim, a casual French restaurant opened in an old mansion, followed by a French bistro, and a cafe near the harbor that served healthy fare. A supper club in a neighboring town modified its menu, and another shoreside family place became a bit more inventive with its fare. In the boom of the late 90s, several Chinese restaurants opened. More recently, we gained a genuine Mexican restaurant.

Today our community now has two "taste of" events, one in winter and one in spring. The choices are so broad that someone with a mild wheat allergy like me can eat quite well at these fundraisers.

The most recent entree to our eclectic assortment of restaurants is an Italian place downtown. We made reservations for my husband's birthday recently and ordered as an appetizer bacon wrapped pears stuffed with goat cheese. Wow!

Here is my version:
  • 1 Asian pear
  • Dash lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 2 Tablespoons chevre
  • 1 Tablespoon cream cheese
  • 1 slices bacon, cooked
  • 1/8 cup chopped walnuts, roasted
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel

Slice the pear down the middle to create two halves. Scoop out the inside to create a place for the cheese mixture. Drizzle with melted butter and lemon juice and stuff with cheese. Bake for about 20-30 minutes in 325 oven (check frequently; pear must be soft, not mushy).

Prepare the bacon as you usually do. I bake mine in the oven, but you could certainly prepare it in a frying pan. You may want to drain it on a paper towel.

Wrap the pear in bacon and sprinkle with roasted walnuts. Add a quick dash of fleur de sel and a larger dash of brown sugar.

It's great to have choices again. I still miss the days when it was possible to stumble upon a small eatery in an out-of-the way place. Quirky places are really my favorites.

Comments

Kalyn Denny said…
Mimi, this sounds heavenly!
Unknown said…
It was pretty darned good, Kalyn. It's taken me nearly a month to get it posted, though.
Danièle said…
MIam miam! J'essaie la recette bientôt.
Unknown said…
Merci, Daniele!
TNelson said…
This made my mouth water! Good to see your post - I have saved this to try some Sunday.

Trish
Unknown said…
Thanks, Trish! I made it on a weekend, too. Gone are the days when I had the time and energy to fix this sort of thing on a week night. If I get home before 7 p.m., I actually have an evening...
Christine said…
This sounds very delicious, to say nothing of elegant! Good to see you back, Mimi.
Unknown said…
Christine, I'm fantasizing running off to northern California again! My niece from Lake Almanor was here to visit recently and she really loves it there. A girl can dream....
Penny said…
I love quirky restaurants too. There are a lot of them in Asheville. The pear looks wonderful with a great combination of flavors.
Christine said…
My home is always open to you, Mimi!
When it comes to cooking, I’m having second thoughts, it’s just that I am not so good at it; I really don’t have the magic to make such tasty food. Good for you :)

Popular Posts