Fast and Frugal: Summer Ham Sandwich Spread


Ham, Hard-Boiled Egg and Pickle Spread

Summer Mondays - the traditional closing day in the restaurant business - were often picnic days when we were kids. Early in the morning, my father would gas up the old Ford and shop for snacks while my mother made sandwiches from Sunday leftovers.

Here's my take on her Ham, Hard-Boiled Egg and Pickle Spread, which is perfect for a Fourth of July weekend meal or snack:

  • 1/4 pound ham, cubed
  • 4 hardboiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickles
  • 1-3 teaspoons minced onions
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise

Place ham, eggs and pickles in a food processor and grind to a paste. Add minced onions and mayo. (I tossed in some pickled carrots when I made it recently.) No need to add salt.

Chill before serving. Makes a great sandwich or cracker spread.

This is a tasty way to use up ham or chicken. I love it on whole-grain bread, and it can be use on home-made sub sandwiches, too.

Comments

~~louise~~ said…
I'm liking the makin's of this sandwich, Mimi! Thanks for sharing a perfect picnic sandwich:)
Katie Zeller said…
I haven't had this in years - always loved it and my mother made it lots. Thanks for the memory ;-)

Popular Posts