Meatless Monday: Julia Child's Grated Zucchini with Shallots

Julia Child's Grated Zucchini with Shallots and Butter

Marking the anniversary of the birth of Julia McWilliams Child is almost a food blogging must-do, and late developer that I am, I am doing it a few days after her actual birthday, which was last Friday, Aug. 15.

I'm not sure how I stumbled across this recipe, probably on Facebook, but it sounded perfect for Sunday supper, always a laid-back meal at our house.

And it was. I've never tasted such delicious zucchini, a vegetable that falls into the "blank canvas" category for me, along with chicken, pasta, potatoes and eggplant. In other words, zucchini is a mild tasting food that can be prepared in a variety of ways.

I think Julia's method may well be the best. Ever.

Here's how I did it:
  • 3 small shallots, peeled and minced
  • 2 medium zucchinis, unpeeled and grated
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • sea salt and ground pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated

Simply brown the onions for 3-4 minutes in oil and butter over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add the zucchini, and brown for another 4-6 minutes, lowering the heat slightly. Again, stir frequently.

I added a small amount of Parmesan at the end, simply because I wanted to recycle the nearly-empty container. The Food Network Recipe Link offers more variations. I'm going to try the added cream next time.

I served my - or rather Julia's - zucchini with a cobbled-together rotini, ham and tomato dish for an inexpensive but tasty end to the weekend.

Comments

Popular Posts