Simple Red Potato Salad
|Simple Red Potato Salad with Red Peppers|
On Memorial Day weekend, we had simple picnic foods, like lemon-roasted chicken with herbs and hamburgers.
It's been almost a year since I made potato salad. It's not difficult to make, but it is a multi-step process. Wash and boil the potatoes. Make hard-boiled eggs. Chop it all. Blend a dressing.
Easy when you can stand on both legs.
My husband loved it. I loved it. This one's a keeper. You can adjust the amount of ingredients, of course, to suit your tastes and what you have on hand.
Simple Red Potato Salad with Red Pepper (Serves 2-4)
- 10-12 medium size red potatoes, boiled and chopped or sliced but not peeled
- 2-3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 green onions, sliced (use white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives
- Pink Himalayan salt and ground pepper - as desired
- 2 Tablespoons Miracle Whip
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise (I used Aldi's Burman's, which has a tangy, earthy taste)
- 1 teaspoon grainy French mustard
I don't think I need to tell you what to do, do I? Just prepare the ingredients, toss, add dressing and toss some more.
The only thing - and this is important - is to chill all the salad ingredients ahead of time. They absorb less of the dressing when chilled. And chilling potatoes before you eat them supposedly lowers the GI index, or so I've read.
Optional ingredients include:
- Chopped or slice black olives
- Sweet peas
- Chopped radishes
- Sweet pickle relish
And, unofficially, summer has arrived.