You Might As Well Face It: You’re Addicted to Spices

I am addicted to buying spice and spice blends the way some people are addicted to shopping at Sephora, acquiring LuLaRoe items, or drinking coffee. Or whatever.

A huge section of my cupboard is dedicated to herbs and spices, from Adobo to Za’atar seasoning.

I buy so much that I had to write this post post four years ago. (UPDATE: Using hot spices to deter squirrels doesn’t work, in my experience and it’s kind of cruel anyway, as a commenter pointed out.)

But recently, I decided to try my hand at mixing my own blends, in an effort to create more cupboard space, not to mention being a more conscious consumer - and save money, too.

Around the holidays and on finger-food nights, we often have fresh vegetables and dip, or chips and dip. A few years back, I fell hard for a commercial chip-and-dip spice blend from my favorite spice purveyor, but discovered I could make my own at great savings.

Here’s the recipe;

  • 1/4 cup onion powder
  • 1/8 cup garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon freeze-dried chives
  • 1 teaspoon dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • Dash pepper

Toss in a small jar and shake. That's all!

To make dip: Blend about a half tablespoon with a cup of sour cream (or half cream cheese and half sour cream) and allow to chill for at least an hour. Serves two.

I'm going to play around with it a bit, and maybe adjust the measurements. You should, too. I know some people are strict recipe followers. I am not.

If you decide to make this blend as a gif or in bulk, you can save more by buying spices that are priced at, say, $1 a bottle, usually at chain stores, drug stores or dollar stores.

Additions: Capers, fresh yellow or green onions, chopped walnuts, green or red peppers, olives. Very versatile.







Comments

Penny said…
Sounds like a great combination Mimi. I will have to follow your lead and come up with some other combinations. Happy New Year. Let's hope it is a better one.
Unknown said…
Indeed!

Thanks for commenting, Penny. It’s bitter cold here? Let’s hope your Lake Lure kitchen is warmer!
siravi said…
Usually french kitchen have an unique style of kitchens that look like an ancient once.

kitchen cabinets design bangalore
Medespoir said…
Chirurgie esthétique en Tunisie prix pas cher devis gratuit. Demandez devis totalement gratuit sans engagements.
la chirurgie esthétique en Tunisie est un choix réussi pour ceux qui veulent améliorer leur apparence avec un prix raisonnable. Plusieurs opérations sont effectuées, on en cite:
* augmentation mammaire Tunisie
* augmentation fesses Tunisie
* rhinoplastie Tunisie
* rhinoplastie secondaire Tunisie
* rhinoplastie ethnique Tunisie
* septoplastie Tunisie

Popular Posts