I read voraciously and ate just as heartily. Especially oranges in winter. I could not get enough of them.
I crave oranges. So when I found this little salad with oranges and olives, it sounded perfect. The original recipe, from the collection at Epicurious calls for canned tuna. But I roasted a whole chicken on Sunday and I thought I'd prefer it my way.
Chicken Salad With Oranges, Olives and Red Peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 seedless oranges, peel and white pith removed
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Parsley (optional)
Blend oil, vinegar and garlic in large bowl. Peel and slice oranges, removing membranes. Toss into bowl, adding other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with almonds.
I've learned to love the contrast and balance of olives with citrus. I added a dash of red pepper to give this salad a bit more bite.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin