Mediterranean Brown Ale Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker


Saturday — the day we do laundry, run errands and nap — is a good day to cook something slow.

Every day I get recipes in my mail at work and often try them out before including them in my food column. This recipe, which includes beer and beef, sounded tasty and perfect for a cold-weather supper.

The recipe is from the National Beer Wholesalers Association.

Slow-Cooked Mediterranean Brown -Ale Beef Stew
  • 1 12-ounce bottle brown ale beer
  • 1 envelope dry onion-mushroom soup mix
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (the dry ones)
  • 1 tablespoons flour
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
  • 3 pounds beef chuck stew meet, cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced
  • 2 red or orange bell peppers, cut into small strips
  • 1/2 cut pitted Kalamata olives
  • 1/2 cut chopped green olives
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley

Combine beer, soup mix, tomatoes, flour, garlic and rosemary in a slow cooker.

Warm olive oil in large skillet. Brown meat, 1/3 of it at a time. Transfer beef to slow cooker. Brown onion in oil left over from meat. Add onion to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.

Add bell peppers and olives. Cook another 45 minutes on low. Serve stew over rice or pasta. Sprinkle with parsley.

I tasted liberally all afternoon, using and washing tons of spoons. The stew was even good early on before the flavors had a chance to marry. The beef melts in your mouth.

I served with a green salad, hard rolls and a Cotes du Rhone.


Comments

Ooooh, this sounds perfect, even without the excuse of some unpleasant dental work. Looking forward to the recipe. I'm on the verge of buying my first-ever slow cooker, so I'm starting to collect recipes for that type of cooking.
Unknown said…
I'll let you know how this works, Lydia. I'll adjust today's post if and when this stew cooks. It's a day-long endeavor and I did not start until noon.
Anonymous said…
I've just started using my crock pot (had it for 10 yrs, never used) and made some great chili this week. I'll be waiting to hear about this recipe! Love your blog but I have to be careful to only visit on a full stomach or I find myself salivating:) Your pics are fabulous!
Unknown said…
Abby, you are so kind and welcome anytime, full stomach or not.

This recipe is a winner! I've been sneaking little tastes and I should be adding the photo and the recipe tonight yet.
Anonymous said…
OOOH. MMMM. Can't wait!

Anticipation.

Signed, Carly Simon
Unknown said…
Ah, one of my favorites, Lu.

I've just posted the results. It was very, very good. I recommend this one for days when you need a free afternoon but a homemade meal at night.
Katie said…
I wonder if I can do crockpot recipes in a really slow oven?

Here in france pressure-cookers are everywhere; crockpots nowhere....
Unknown said…
How interesting! I should think a slow oven would be just fine for this, Katie.
Anonymous said…
I certainly want to remember the macaroonie an'cheese for after the dentist. Great logical thinker you are Mimi.
Unknown said…
Any excuse for comfort food, Tanna!

Popular Posts