Eggnog Tea Bread with Cranberries and Raisins

At 9:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve I realized we had nothing for breakfast. I had been too busy preparing low-carb finger foods and getting ready for Christmas dinner to even think about some sort of festive breakfast idea.

My father always had stollen or some sort of coffee cake on hand for Christmas breakfast. He understood the connection between food and celebration, and tried to make sure we had celebratory foods on hand for holidays.

We had plenty of eggnog, purchased with plans to make eggnog biscotti. Biscotti for breakfast? I think not. Too decadent. I took stock of what I else I had on hand and came up with this recipe from my "recipes to try some day" folder.

Eggnog Tea Bread with Cranberries and Golden Raisins

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar or fructose
  • 1 cup eggnog
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons French vanilla or rum extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries and golden raisins


Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour three small bread pans.

Beat eggs in a large bowl, adding sugar, eggnog, butter, and extracts. In a separate bowl, blend flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Blend into eggnog mixture. Add dried fruit and stir enough to blend the batter.

Bake 40 minutes. Once the bread has cooled, wrap it and store it in the refrigerator. It will taste even better the day after it is baked.

The bread was a big hit, even with my husband who is not a fan of tea breads. I am going to try it again, this time with some leftover cranberry-orange relish, which will make for a very moist loaf.

You can spiff up this bread a bit and serve it for an evening buffet by using rum in place of the French vanilla extract, and loading it with candied fruit and walnuts. Serve with a mascarpone cheese spread.

Comments

Mimi, that looks delicious. I'm sure it was a wonderful Christmas morning breakfast, one that your father would have loved.
Anonymous said…
Mimi, you're always thinkin'! Sounds wonderful.

How do you do the lighting for your lovely photos?

Merry day after Christmas.
Unknown said…
Thanks, Lydia — you know it was pretty darned good for being so simple.

Lu, I am simpling making do with the poor lighting in my kitchen and that's what I get. I like it though! Thank you!
Jann said…
Leave it to you to come up with something delicious for the occassion-what a great recipe!
Unknown said…
It seems like a can't-fail recipe. I often use half Smart Balance and half butter in these recipes, or even all Smart Balance, and the quality does not seem to suffer at all.

I'm going to try it with low-fat eggnog to see if it's still good. Eggnog is a huge hit at our house this time of year.
Anonymous said…
That looks really delicious! I've made French Toast with eggnog, but I've never made a quick bread with it. That is such a great idea!

As always, lovely photos!
Unknown said…
French toast with eggnog - ooh la la! Gotta try that. Stuffed French toast with eggnog.
Anonymous said…
This sounds and looks yummy, Mimi and I've written down the recipe. Thanks for sharing it.
Anonymous said…
Oh yum! That looks divine. I'll have to make that!

Popular Posts