Shrimp de Jonghe for Two

We’re tired of turkey. We’re tired of dressing. Seafood is on sale at local supermarkets. What to make? Shrimp de Jonghe!

Normally, this is something we only eat when we eat out. On our anniversary, maybe.

Our anniversary is tomorrow and we are eating out. But why wait?

Shrimp de Jonghe for Two


  • One pound raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 ½ teaspoons tarragon
  • 1 ½ teaspoons parsley
  • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 ½ teaspoons minced onion
  • ¾ stick butter, softened
  • ½ cup dried Italian-style bread crumbs
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • pinch sel de fleur


Preheat oven to 350.

Cook shrimp in boiling salted water for about 1-2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water to halt further cooking.

Make a paste using about 1/2 stick butter and herbs, onions, garlic, shallots and 1/4 cup bread crumbs.

Arrange shrimp in shallow pans. Do not overlap. Coat tops of shrimp with mixture.

Melt remaining butter and breadcrumbs, adding salt and pepper. Drizzle over the shrimp.

Bake for 15 minutes on a rack placed in the upper third of the oven. After 15 minutes, turn off oven and turn on the broiler so the shrimp turns golden brown.

I served with noodles for my husband and rice pilaf for me.

Note: I scrimped on the butter and salt in what is probably a fruitless attempt to make this a healthier dish. Ah, well it's the holiday season.

The recipe is adapted from one found on Epicurious.

Comments

Happy anniversary! What a lovely way to celebrate.
Unknown said…
Thank you, Lydia. Each year, each day is a gift.
Kalyn Denny said…
Ditto on the happy anniversary.
Unknown said…
Thanks, Kalyn. BTW, one of my resolutions for 2007 is to eat more of the healthy food from your kitchen. And drink more water.
Anonymous said…
MMM. Haven't made this in ages. Thanks for the nudge to create this dish again. And, happy anniversary. Celebrate well!
Unknown said…
My husband thought it might be good with a sauce, so next time I think we'll try that — love the idea of a new tweak on a classic.
Jann said…
A very Happy Anniversary and many more! An ideal dish to serve on such an occassion!
Unknown said…
Well, it's that famous frugality raising its head. If it's on sale and the price is right, eat it.
Anonymous said…
This sure looks yummy and living on an island we have an abundance of fresh shrimp here....Needless to say, I'll purchase some and try your recipe.
A very Happy Anniversary to you! Enjoy your special day.
kansasrose said…
Happy Anniversary...I followed you here from farmgirlcyns...your comment about going through the vodka on her blog ran so true to me...only this time of year it is cheap wine for me...this shrimp recipe makes me crazy for shrimp now! Happy New Year too.
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary Mimi! This recipe looks delicious. Would it work to leave out the bread crumbs, I wonder? I'm soooo stuffed with holiday indulgences, I'm trying to be a low-carb purist right now.
Unknown said…
Christine, I know exactly what you mean. I am going to start anew this weekend, watching both carbs and fat. This week has been a bust.

I think you could leave the crumbs out or at least cut them back drastically.
Anonymous said…
Let me add my happy anniversary wishes to the pile. You're right, it's not too healthy, but all things in moderation, including moderation. I'm curious, though--with all the time in the oven, is it necessary to boil the shrimp ahead of time? Is that just to make them firmer and easier to work with, applying the butter and herb paste?
Unknown said…
I used raw shrimp because that was what the recipe called for my first effort, did not want to tinker too much) so they had to be boiled a bit.

You could probably used cooked shrimp and cut the oven time OR just broil them, using a lower oven shelf.
Anonymous said…
Very Happy Anniversary and good things in the new year!!!
Unknown said…
Thanks, Tanna! I hope you, too, will have a wonderful New Year

You know, i think I like this one the best — a fresh start is cause to celebrate.
Carole said…
Mimi, what a great way to do shrimp - am going to pin this on my Recipes to try board. Cheers
Unknown said…
Thank you, Carole! Looking forward to Friday and seeing what you feature!

Popular Posts