Leek-Olive Tart with Pave d'Affinois & Parmesan Cheese


It all started when I bought a small brick of creamy Pave d'Affinois cheese (see photo below) at the Italian market across the river. This creamy relative to Brie is heavenly, with a light grassiness and a hint of green apple.

I could have spread it on a slice of baguette, but I wanted something a bit more complex. But not complicated.

A Google search brought me to this recipe from Martha Stewart and I captivated by the rustic look of the tart. I had all the ingredients, save for the leeks, but I was pretty sure I could buy those from the Immerfrost Farm growers at the Saturday farm market.

I love these guys, and most of the other vendors. They know what I want. One of the vendors saves her odd-shaped vegetables for me. She knows I think vegetables are people. More on that one some other time.

I followed the recipe almost exactly, but followed the reviewers' suggestions and sliced my leeks differently. It was easier to eat this way. I'd suggest cutting back on the salt used on the leeks, too, as the Mediterranean olives I used provided plenty of salty flavor. As you all know, I am liberal with herbes de Provence, so I added a dash of that, too.

The thyme came from my own garden, but other than that, only the leeks were local. I would like to report that I made my own puff pastry, but I cannot tell a lie. It's on my to-do list for rewirement. Only 22 more work days!

Since I trimmed the cheese brick before melting the cheese on the tarte, I suspect it will turn up in a soup recipe sometime down the line. With Pave d'Affinois, the rind is edible.

Meanwhile, the tart was perfect for breakfast, too.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Comments

Chef Dad said…
Oh my that looks good. Gotta look for a Mom and Dad moment. My daughter is not an olive person and my son blows hot and cold on them. Can Wisconsin cheese sometimes remind you of home?
Unknown said…
I think you could make this without olives, Chef Dad. I'm going to try the same thing with tomatoes instead. I'd like black olives, too.

Speaking of Wisconsin cheese, I've been sampling a lot of it this summer: I'm really impressed with the variety.
The cheese looks divine. We have a small cheese industry here in Rhode Island -- one artisan cheesemaker, and one really great cheese shop. That is all.
Unknown said…
Then you must come to Wisconsin, Lydia!

We have two cheese shops here, with cheese makers in the adjacent county, and many more within a two-hour drive.

I loved how the Pave d'Affinois melted so effortlessly.

Carole said…
Mimi, that looks just great. Thanks for linking it in to Food on friday. cheers

Popular Posts