Kitchen Tools: Necessities for the Herb Lover

Herb snippers, herb cutters and an herb mill.

I've talked a lot about simplicity and downsizing, but for all that talk, I love my kitchen gadgets.



Not necessarily the electronics that take up counter space, but the small ones that fit into kitchen drawers. Melon ballers, peelers, scrapers, specialty knives, and other kitchen helpers that make the job easier or make the final product more attractive. I am especially fond of what I call my trio of herb tools: Scissors for clipping herbs, scissors for chopping herbs, and an herb grinder.

grow my herbs in large pots on the deck that's on the west side of the house. Typically, I grow several types of basil, mint, cilantro, dill and of course, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. I also have a clump of chives that come back without fail, year after year.

When I'm preparing meals, I love slipping outdoors to snip herbs for recipes like this and this. I love the gentle aroma, and often just sit there at sunset, taking it all in.

While there is much spring clean up to do before I'll do any relaxing on the deck, the good news is that the snow banks are now more than 50 percent gone. And that means it's mud season in Wisconsin.

I'm counting the days now.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to a visit to nearby Peterman Brook Herb Farm, as soon as it's warm enough, for some inspiration.

Comments

~~louise~~ said…
Hi Mimi,
I sure hope it's warming up in Wisconsin. We had rain most of the day but the sun finally arrived:)

I don't have very many gadgets. As a matter of fact, I don't hve a lot of kitchen stuff not even a KitchenAid, lol...

I do love herbs though. I've often said if I didn't have my blog that I have now, I would have an herbal blog. They have always fascinated me for healing and of course for culinary use too.

Funny thing though. I haven't planned an herb garden since moving to PA so this year will be my first. I am sooooo excited. I would love to grow them within snipping distance but I probably won't be able to until I have a deck built. How wonderful that you can slip out onto your deck:) ...I don't know if you saw my Tarragon post but suffice to say the clippings got roots!!!

You might want make a note, May is National Herb Month! And, the International Herb Society has proclaimed Artemisia the Herb of the Year for 2014! I can't wait to read about your herb farm visit:) Thanks for sharing, Mimi...
Unknown said…
Thank you, Louise, I will remember to post some herby things in May!

We really need few gadgets, I think. Mine are mostly small ones. I have a toaster, blender, KitchenAid and an emersion blender and that's about it.
Julia Farnandas said…
Yes i agree your post I am especially fond of what I call my trio of herb tools: Scissors for clipping herbs, scissors for chopping herbs, and an herb grinder http://bit.ly/2sIB9YI.

Popular Posts