Roasted Potato Salad with Feta Cheese and Herbes de Provence


Roasted Potato Salad with Feta Cheese and Herbes de Provence

I never like to throw food away, but it happens, especially when life is busy and we forget or simply cannot locate leftovers lurking in the refrigerator.

My husband and I have been focusing on decluttering our kitchen spaces, from top cupboard to crisper drawer, so our not-so-big food-prep area is more user-friendly. We simply need more countertop space and more storage.

In the process, I found about a dozen Yukon gold potatoes purchased less than two weeks ago that needed to be used - and soon.


Regular potato salad, the kind you find and summer picnics, is wonderful, but I wanted something with a bit more depth. The best way I have found to give potato salad an extra level of flavor is to roast the potatoes with herbs and then chill them.

Here's another benefit: This process also mitigates the effect potatoes have on blood-sugar levels. So, as it turns out, just about any cold potato salad is likely to keep blood sugar spikes down, because it is always made with potatoes that are cooked and then chilled.

I had a few small sweet peppers to use up plus some black olives. The result was a Mediterranean-style potato salad that paired well with both chicken and salmon.

Roasted Potato Salad with Feta Cheese and Herbes de Provence

For the potatoes:
  • 6 large potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 7 small red and orange peppers, cut into small rings
  • 2 teaspoons each: onion salt and garlic salt
  • 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • sea salt and pepper

To complete the salad:
  • 10-12 black olives, sliced
  • 1/4 cup sweet onion, minced 
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup aoili from this recipe

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Prepare potatoes - no need to remove skin. Place on shallow backing sheet. Prepare the peppers by removing seeds and slicing in rings or chunks; add to the baking pan. Sprinkle potato-pepper mix with onion and garlic salt and herbs. Season with sea salt and pepper.

Roast for about 30 minutes, until potatoes turn golden and edges of peppers begin to turn black. Check frequently!

Allow mixture to cool; place in covered dish and chill for 2-4 hours in refrigerator. While potatoes and peppers are cooling, prepare olives, onions and aoili. Mix all ingredients in large bowl, adding feta cheese at the end. Toss lightly with aoili. Chill for another 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to mingle.

The addition of cold chicken chunks to the salad makes this a great one-dish meal.


Comments

~~louise~~ said…
Oh I adore potato salad, Mimi...It is my very best favorite potato dish of all time, second only to mashed!

I have never tried roasting potatoes before making potato salad. I'm luv'in this idea and will be trying it as soon as I find the "hidden" bag of potatoes that I know are around here somewhere, lol...Love the combination of goodness in yours just as it is:) Thanks for sharing, Mimi...good luck with the decluttering:)
Unknown said…
I hope you find those potatoes, Louise! Because this was even better the day after! I ate it with ham. I love ham because it makes me drink more water.
~~louise~~ said…
Oh I found them, Mimi...I just may be giving these potatoes a try this weekend. The forecast is awesome!

I just had to chuckle to myself when you said eating ham makes you drink more water, it just struck my funny bone, lol...
Katie Zeller said…
It's getting to be salad season again - yay! I love the peppers and feta.
Unknown said…
Louise, I think that's one of the benefits of eating ham.

Katie, thank goodness! I'm almost tired of warm and savory.

Popular Posts