New! Sweet Bell Pepper Pizza with Cipillini Onions, Chevre, Black Olives and, yes, Meatloaf


My beloved Grandma Annie was incredibly hip for a grandmother born in 1888. She knew how much we kids loved pizza and often made it for us, using a package that included crust mix, a small can of tomato sauce and a packet of parmesan cheese. Toppings were improvised: usually hamburger, tomatoes and onions.



When my late brother decided to strike out on his own early in life, she bought him a pizza stone as a house-warming gift. I had never heard of a pizza stone before, but she explained to me what it was for - helping the pizza cook evenly - and I thought she was amazing for knowing this; but then, she was wise in all culinary matters.

I never had a pizza stone, but acquired one when my surviving siblings and I cleaned out my mother's kitchen. I had to learn how to use it. If you don't use a pizza stone but have one, read this before using.

I didn't see the point of using a pizza stone to make these pizzas, because I cheated and used a store-bought crust. I made my own from Bisquick when I was a teenager, but for now I just wanted to use up some vegetables and cheese. But I will admit, nothing beats a homemade crust.

Here are some great crust options, mostly from food blogging friends who deserve a shout out for their long-time support:
For me, pizza on a weekend is a great way to use up leftovers from the work week. It was a cherished tradition when we were kids. My mother would save leftovers and use them up on pizza. Meatloaf, sloppy Joes, chicken, any type of cheese or olive, and just about any cooked or raw vegetable. More often than not, the crust was homemade, too. Not surprising, some were better than others. We didn't mind. We loved it.

Ah, those were the days.

To get back to my pizza, I was determined to use what I had on hand, which as it turns out was quite a bit:
  • 1 cup chopped bell peppers, red and orange
  • 2 small white cipollini onions
  • 1/4 cup sliced black olives
  • 1 large fresh tomato
  • 1/2 cup meatloaf, crumbled
  • 1/3 cup goat cheese with sun-dried tomatoes and garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
  • dash herbes de Provence
  • dash sea salt
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

You know how to make pizza. Everything goes on top of the crust that has been topped with a small amount of olive oil and a bit more tomato sauce. But for the sake of pizza artistry, here are my layering suggestions. Season the tomato paste with salt and pepper. Layer in this fashion: Onions, peppers, tomatoes, meat, olives, and goat cheese. Give the pizza an 8-10 minute head start before tossing on the Parmesan.

Bake for about 18-20 minutes in a 400 degree oven, until the topping is cooked and the crust is turning brown, but not too brown.

There's always something festive about making your own pizza. I loved those pizzas my mother made, with help from us kids. Making my own takes me back to a sweet time.



Comments

Christine said…
Beautiful photo, back story and recipe. I went to both Kalyn's and Katie's blogs for veggie crust inspiration and think I may try making a zucchini and cauliflower combo crust. I love how you used up leftovers, especially the crumbled meatloaf. (Now I want to make meatloaf.)
Once again, thank you for linking to my blog; I've always loved that particular recipe. I do believe you're reeling me in, Mimi. I might just have something to post soon. :-)
Unknown said…
Now that makes my day.

I made meatloaf recently with the idea of posting a photo, but boy, is meatloaf hard to shoot and come up with something attractive!
Unknown said…
Can't wait to hear about that crust.

I'm giving up sweets and carbs for Lent. Still a bit of Nice Catholic Girl in me.
Penny said…
Your pizza looks delicious Mimi. Pizzas are so forgiving of ingredients; anything goes. Thanks for linking back to my veggie pizza. We have pizza most Sunday nights.
Unknown said…
You are welcome, Penny. Pizza is a weekend kind of thing, isn't it.

Your focaccia has inspired me to give that a try now.

Popular Posts