Red Lettuce Salad With Blue Cheese

Since renaming this blog several months ago, I have spent hours revamping my blog format and resizing photos. Only two months ago I was ready to throw in the towel completely, mentally hanging a big Do Not Resuscitate sign on it. But something stopped me.

I am not ready to let go. So many of my blogger friends from 2006 are no longer blogging and I miss them. Their comments and e-mails got me through a time of transition, while offering suggestions and encouragement. So I'm not ready to stop blogging.

Instead I began curating, as they say today - I call it editing - my own archives, deleting hastily written or ill-conceived posts - surely there is more to come, or should I say go? - and evaluating posts that were effective, or just plain delicious. This is one that originally ran in 2007.

I still make this salad several times a year. It's so tasty, and a great foil for any savory meal. And colorful: The pomegranate arils, which provide such sweet bursts of flavor, look like little rubies tucked away amidst the lettuce. But now I think I want it. Our menu has been heavy lately, lots of stews and casseroles and one-dish meals. All very savory, I might add.

This fresh salad is a perfect light dish for this time of year, a pleasant way to put the gastronomic excesses of the holidays and winter far behind you. It is delicious with any meal, or by itself.

Red Salad with Blue Cheese
  • small head of red lettuce
  • 1 small red onion, chopped or sliced
  • 3/4 cup pomegranate arils (or dried cranberries)
  • 1/2 cup roasted pecans, coarsely chopped
  • 1/3 cup blue cheese
  • Pomegranate or raspberry balsamic vinegar for dressing
Tear up the lettuce. Slice the onions. Grab a handful of cranberries or pomegranate arils. Roast pecans in the oven. Toss it all together. Add some blue cheese crumbles. Drizzle on the dressing.

I make this for holiday potlucks and its always a hit. The blue cheese can be optional; I never add it until the last minute, once I'm sure everyone at the potluck eats it. You can add butter and brown sugar to your pecans for roasting. Frankly, you can toss in whatever you have on hand.

Note: Want to peel a pomegranate? Here's how.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Blue cheese optional? No, no! This is one of my favorite types of salad, too. I've got a stash of dried cherries, and I toss a few at a time into salads with creamy cheese and sharp greens. Yum.
Unknown said…
Weel, it's never optional for me. But — belive it or not — I know a whole lot of people who will nto eat blue cheese.

This is Wisconsin, but apparently blue cheese is an acquired taste for some.

I acquired the taste for it at birth.

Wisconsin is an odd state, and a topic for a future post.
Anonymous said…
This salad sounds simply delish! And to your previous posts on food and evoking memories, this one does that for me. My mom used to buy pomegranates when we were little just to snack on. No kidding, when I buy or see a pomegranate, I am transported to a time in my mom's kitchen.
Unknown said…
Your mom was one smart cookie, Lu! Pomegranates are so good for you, but we only learned this recently. I like them so much — I was thinking as I ate my salad — that I've got to find a way to work them into my diet more frequently!

Favorite pomegranate recipes, anyone?
Anonymous said…
Ummm, would that include a pomegranate martini ?!?
Unknown said…
I'll drink to that!
savvycityfarmer said…
Stop it now, girls....it's only 2:00 PM
Anonymous said…
Can't stop now in order to be ready for 6PM.
Mimi this is a wonderful salad and one of my very favorite variations. You are so right on with it.
Unknown said…
Ah, well, CF, gotta gather up the ingredients and open another pomegranate!

Those little arils are like grains of fleur de sel, Tanna, little gifts for the taste buds.
Anonymous said…
You're quite right about simple recipes without miles of ingredients. I subscribe to an opinion expressed by a wonderful italian chef [whose name escapes me right now] that too many ingredients mussied the taste and doesn't let any one flavor shine through.

Regarding the pomegranates as snacks for kids, they're totally smart--not just for nutrition's sake, but because they're an interactive food that will entertain kids as much as they feed them. and create those wonderful memories.

Tell us about your dressings, please, Mimi. Or maybe in another post.
Jann said…
This is one of my favorites-anytime of the year! You must make this in Paris when you can get your hands on some fresh blue fromage!
Unknown said…
Terry B, you are psychic. A chef I know pretty much gave me his recipe for a fablous salad dressing and I was going to get to it in a day or so.

I am missing one ingredient...

Yeah, pomegranates are entertaining! My father is the one who introduced them to us when we were younger. Lu's mother was ahead of her time. . .

Back to dressings, I am usually inspired by something I see in a bottle and I think: I can do better fresh.
Anonymous said…
Oh, the picture of this dish is just too lovely for words! My best friend LOVES blue cheese so I may just have to put on an apron and try this. Poms take me back to my Asian heritage. We eat them like you would an apple. Love it!
Unknown said…
I can't get enough of those little red gems, F2B!

Best blue cheese thing I ever had was at a party in the the Green Bay Packers locker rooms. (No, I know what you are thinking; it was not that kind of party. I don't even like football. It was a business reception.)

Anyway, fresh grapes were coated with blue cheese and then crusted with sugared walnuts.

Mon Dieu!
Kalyn Denny said…
Oh baby. Give me some of this right now.
Unknown said…
It's pretty low in carbs, too.

I promise I don't use croutons, Kalyn.
Farmgirl Cyn said…
LOVE bleu cheese! Any particular bleu you are fond of? Had some over at cityfarmers last year, studded with I believe cranberries...oh my goodness! So creamy and delicious!
Unknown said…
Another good combination! I think I've got Rosenbery Danish in my refrigerator now. It's the best I can find here. It is not in high demand here on the tundra, in cheddarland.
Unknown said…
Terry B has asked me by e-mail to post a corrected paragraph to his comment above.

"You're quite right about simple recipes without miles of ingredients. I subscribe to an opinion expressed by a wonderful Italian chef [whose name escapes me right now] that too many ingredients muddy the taste and don't let any one flavor shine through."

If you haven't already, check out Terry's blog, Blue Kitchen.

Who can resist a blog with the tag line, "Good Food. Great Stories. I Swear."

Brilliant. The first time I saw it, I was insanely jealous. Why didn't I think of that?
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Mimi, for posting what I should have said in the first place had I been typing more carefully. And thanks for the plug. High praise indeed, coming from someone with a such thoughtful, thought-provoking blog.
Unknown said…
Terry, thanks. So happy to have you on board here.

BTW, do you write for a living?

(I swear, too!)
Christine said…
The photo in this post is awesome, Mimi. I often make a similar salad in winter, adding roasted, sliced beets to it. I love your addition of pomegranate seeds.
Unknown said…
Beets would be great, Christine. I would love that, but my husband is not a beet eater. I'll try it on my salad next time, though.

Popular Posts